|Real World information|
The Darkness is an ancient entity dating back to the beginning of time. A demon of death, the Darkness feeds upon the souls of those it consumes. As a spirit of shadows, it requires a human host; traveling in bloodlines, it bestows its power on the firstborn male's 21st birthday.
- "In the beginning, there wasn't shit. Literally, nothing but void and darkness; and that's how the Darkness liked it. It wasn't until God decreed, "Turn on the lights", that things got nasty. It started out small - a planet here, a sun there y'know. Next thing you know, there are humans, and cows, and stuff running all over the place. Needless to say, the Darkness was pissed."
- – Johnny Powell describes the Darkness's origins. [src]
The Darkness is the soul of the void of chaos which predates Creation. When God allowed the light into the emptiness, the Darkness was pushed back and forgotten. Driven mad by bitterness, the Darkness took possession of living human vessels; tearing its way through human history.
The Darkness Edit
The Darkness II Edit
- "All those years alone to think... It lived a thousand lifetimes... and it just went insane."
- – Anthony Estacado describes the Darkness. [src]
Powers & Abilities Edit
- "Through you, I will display my power. Through you, I am born."
- – The Darkness to Jackie. [src]
- Immortality: The Darkness has been described as a creature as old as time itself. The Darkness has endured for many millennia since the dawn of Creation; inhabiting one human vessel after the other across entire generations; effectively living a thousand lifetimes and thus driven more insane.
- Possession: The Darkness manifests itself only through possessing a living vessel. The particular way it incarnates is through the firstborn males of a particular bloodline it's come to inhabit; passing from father to son and remaining in slumber until the evening of the son's 21st birthday.
- Resurrection: Even if a host has died, the Darkness may repair its vessel and return the soul to the land of the living. During this process, the Darkness may keep its host in a purgatorial portion of Hell such as No Man's Land or the Asylum to keep them from completely falling into Perdition.
- "Stay in the shadows, Jackie."
- – The Darkness to Jackie. [src]
- Strong Illumination: As a creature of shadows, the Darkness may only thrive while in low-light environments. If exposed to light, its constructs will begin to weaken and eventually disappear - leaving its host vulnerable. After being subdued for so long, the merest light will dissolve any constructs.
- Human Dependence: The Darkness requires a male human host to manifest itself on the mortal plane. This gives the host access to its powers, but can also allow the Darkness to corrupt the host and bend him to its will.
- The Darkness is the antithesis of the Angelus in every way; including their requirements for possessing a vessel. Whereas the Darkness requires the body of a man to manifest on Earth, the Angelus requires the body of a woman. The purposes for this preference in gender is unclear.
- The voice of the Darkness in The Darkness 2, was made out to be more aggressive, assertive and sociapathic, with more than three times the "Shouting" than in The Darkness.
- Though powerful, The Darkness in the games is not quite as powerful as the Darkness of the comics as first person shooter gameplay had to be made possible.